In Elden Ring, you must speak with a character named Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon in order to respec your stats. Rennala, however, isn’t just an average character, as she is a major boss in the game that must be defeated first before she can be pacified into a friendly NPC. Respecifying your stats is a good way to experiment with builds when you discover a powerful incantation or a fun new weapon. You can do this as many times as you like, as long as you have Larval Tears to spend.
There is a total of 18 Larval Tears spread around Elden Ring, these are difficult to find but lucky some are at the same location
What Are Larval Tears For?
Larval Tears is a key item in The Land in Between, which allows players to respec their characters. Although to be able to use respec you first need to defeat Rennala which in itself is hard enough. In order to use Rennalas’ rebirth ability users must collect Larval Tears. Although rare, players can find them if they know where to look. The easiest way to get Larval Tears Elden Ring is to visit nomadic merchants in the Siofra River area. Larval Tears can be purchased for 3000 runes, fastest rune method
Here are some of the best ways to retrieve Larval Tears:
- The Mimic Tear drops this item when defeated in Nokron, Eternal City.
- A rolling ball disguised as a Silver Tear dropped it on Night’s Sacred Ground.
- Dropped by Silver Tears that look like rolling balls in Nokstella, Eternal City.
- It is dropped by a Lion Guardian in imitation of a brick wall from the outer wall of Leyndell, the ruined royal capital.
- A Grafted Scion mimicking a giant lobster dropped it between the Boilprawn Shack and the Rose Church.
- Dropped by a Troll who mimicked an Undead Soldier in Southern Caelid.
- In Nokron, Eternal City, found on a corpse near a gazebo.
- This item was found on a body inside of a stone building in Nokron, the Eternal City.
- A gravestone at the Village of the Albinaurics.
- Located east of Caria Manor in a graveyard after defeating Royal Knight Loretta.
To obtain these tears, you must use deception and mimicry to kill your enemies while posing as something else. By placing a good number of Larval Tears throughout the game, FromSoftware allows players to respec their characters. Therefore, do not be afraid of using tears as much as you want to. They are plentiful.
Rennala can be found at the top of Elden Ring’s Raya Lucaria Academy, the massive sorcerous structure located in Liurnia of the Lakes, a watery area North of Stormveil that unlocks after defeating Godrick. This is the Raya Lucaria Grand Library, the arena in which Rennala fights (well, partly where she fights).
You can speak to her after the boss fight, and she’ll offer you respecs in the form of “Rebirth”, the game’s grandiose term for a respec. This simply allows you to reallocate and redistribute all the levels you’ve earned so far, and to completely redesign your character’s appearance.