Survival of the Fittest is a Hunger Games-like, last-man-standing tournament that originated from a mod in ARK: Survival Evolved
What is the difference between ARK and ARK Survival of the Fittest?
The game is played on servers with special settings. Leveling, gathering, taming, and building all occur at an accelerated pace.
In order to improve game balance, stats have been changed so that tamed dinosaurs are no longer as powerful, and engrams, craftables, and supply drops are now automatically learned upon leveling up.
Fast travel and respawning are disabled. As in Hardcore mode, players cannot respawn after death, so when they’re killed, they’re out of the game but can spawn as ghosts and watch the game from the sidelines.
In this environment, the island of Ark is slightly modified from the usual one. Every game begins with all players standing on a platform in the middle of the island. Located in the center of the platform are large quantities of supplies and weapons.
Players may choose to loot these (but may be attacked by other players) or directly flee into the wilderness, similar to the beginning of The Hunger Games. The area in which the players can move is limited by barriers and gets smaller as time goes on, causing confrontation between them.
The History of SOFT
In Ark: Survival Evolved, Survival of the Fittest first appeared as a mod in mid-2015, in which players compete in a last-man-standing tournament similar to the Hunger Games. This game was so popular that Studio Wildcard turned it into a free standalone game in 2016, adding cash prizes just to keep things interesting. Now it’s costs.
Is Survival of the Fittest Dead? 2022
Despite being folded back into Survival Evolved, Survival of the Fittest still exist as its own application, and everyone who has thus-far played the game can continue to play it without having to own the main game.
It has now been over 5 years since its “closure”, so how does the action look on Steam? Following the free release of Ark: Survival Evolved on Steam, we can see that the player base has greatly increased. Previously, there were usually 5-6 games active per hour, but now in 2022 July, we can see around 100 players per hour. I personally checked it out again after 5 years, and I’m amazed to see that it’s still active.
Survival of the Fittest – How To play?
It’s more of a Multiplayer Online Survival Arena than a MOBA or FPS death match. Your goal isn’t to be the first to kill the enemy or take down the enemy position, but rather to stay alive while battling the environment.
You might survive for 5 or 10 minutes with the right Survival Of The Fittest strategies, but with enough pratice you will be on top.
There are two common are used, they are both are equally valid strategies and have their own pros and cons:
- Run like hell to the center and hope you pick up something useful in the boxes before the guy next to you.
- Avoid that death trap entirely and head into the woods immediately, farm up
As everyone starts out naked and without weapons, gaining an early advantage is crucial. The fact that you have a stone club when everyone else just has fists makes you the most powerful dinosaur hunter around for a little while.
If you get to the boxes first, you can get several kills as other players rush for the boxes. It’s just as likely that someone else will reach that crucial weapon box before you do and you’ll be killed.
It is usually better to turn around and jump off the ledges into the surrounding area (don’t worry about falling damage – it is disabled at the start of the game).
You can pick up crafting material, make armor and weapons, and tame dinosaurs while other players fight over the boxes. The fact that someone killed all the looters with a spear doesn’t matter much if you are riding a carnivorous lizard.
No matter which strategy you choose, it’s important to learn the hazards of whichever part of the island you choose to run to. Each section has its own set of environmental and animal hazards that can kill you much more quickly than other players.
How to Survive and win in SOFT
The biggest threat in the game is the enemy players and tribes, since their goal is to kill you. The only way to win ARK: Survival of the Fittest is to outlive your opponents.
- Become a forest dweller. Each player descends to the edges of the center ring when the match begins. Players can fight for loot in the middle of the ring (just like Hunger Games). Generally, however, it is best to run into the woods to avoid a brawl. Generally, it is best to run into the woods to avoid a brawl. Snagging loot in the center is only worth it if you’re playing alone with a decent frame rate.
- Never “Break” materials. In order to survive, you’ll have to do a lot of crafting. Materials are needed to make weapons, armor, saddles, and shelters. However, there is a limit to how many times you can harvest these materials before they break. When the material breaks, it sends off an explosion, effectively revealing your position to other players.
- Before opening your inventory, take cover. If you need to equip or craft items, find a spot with good bush coverage and lay down. Making your weapon shouldn’t end up on your deathbed.
- Don’t build fires at night unless it’s freezing. See a pattern here? It is essential to make sure you are rarely found by your fellow players if you want to survive them.
- Kill or be killed. Create ranged weapons to deal with players and kill them from afar. If you can’t kill your enemy before they see you, then use every trick and trap you can think of. Never be afraid to fight dirty, after all it’s Survival of the Fittest
- Keep moving. Don’t stay in one place for too long. The enemies may plan to surround you at any time, and you don’t want to be caught unaware. Keep moving and kill anyone you find.